Are you looking for a way to truly make an impact on the environment? World Ocean Day is here to provide us with an answer. Every June 8th, we celebrate this global day of awareness to educate and unite individuals across the globe in addressing our shared need for ocean protection. This year particularly, we’re rising up on this day as tides are shifting towards greater sustainability and environmental responsibility. Here at EBB & FLO, we are doing our part by committing ourselves wholly to preserving a healthier planet for us all! Read along as we explore how together, outdoor lovers like yourself can help create a brighter future - not just today but also everyday afterwards!
Introducing World Ocean Day 2023 and the Significance of Celebrating It
It’s World Ocean Day 2023! This annual celebration brings together people from around the world to honour the amazing power of our oceans. Not only do they provide us with food, medicine, and recreation, but they also help regulate the earth’s climate and produce oxygen for us to breathe. It is our responsibility to protect and restore these beautiful blue expanses and all the creatures that call them home. World Ocean Day is a reminder that we all have a role to play in preserving our planet. Let’s continue to work towards a sustainable future where our oceans remain a thriving and vital part of our world.
How is EBB & FLO Helping to Shift Tides Towards a More Sustainable Planet
EBB & FLO is making waves in the fight for a sustainable planet. With our consciously designed products and eco-friendly practices, we lead by example in the charge towards a cleaner future. From our use of recycled materials to our commitment to minimising waste, we are setting a high standard for sustainability.
- Sustainable Sourcing: We prioritise sustainable sourcing of materials for our products, particularly those that directly impact the ocean, such as recycled polyester. Our Hoodies are made from 15% post-consumer PET bottles. It’s clear that tackling plastic waste has become one of the major environmental challenges of our time – globally, about 9.5 million tonnes of plastic ends up in the ocean annually, most of it single-use. By selecting eco-friendly materials and partnering with suppliers who share our commitment to sustainability, we reduce our environmental footprint and support responsible practices.
Plastic-Free Packaging: We are passionate about reducing plastic waste and its harmful impact on the ocean. That's why we use minimal and plastic-free packaging for our products such as FSC certified cardboard, kraft paper tape & glassine gift bags. By opting for eco-friendly alternatives like recycled materials and biodegradable packaging, we minimise plastic pollution and contribute to a cleaner environment.
Ocean-themed Collections: We offer ocean-themed collections that raise awareness and inspire a deeper connection with the marine environment. Through our designs and storytelling, we aim to foster a sense of appreciation and respect for the beauty and importance of the ocean.
Not only does this approach benefit the environment, but it also inspires consumers to make more mindful choices. By choosing EBB & FLO you are opting for eco-friendly products that prioritise sustainability and minimise environmental impact. Together we can all be a part of the movement towards a healthier planet for generations to come.
Making an Impact – Learn What EBB & FLO Is Doing to Help World Ocean Day and the Planet
It's no secret that our oceans are in trouble, and it's up to each and every one of us to do our part to protect them. That's why we're excited to share with you what EBB & FLO is doing to help make a positive impact this World Ocean Day and beyond. As part of our Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), we are working hard to raise awareness about the importance of protecting our oceans, and our efforts are truly making a difference. From organising beach cleanups to hosting educational events, EBB & FLO is inspiring people to do their part to protect the planet we call home:
- Volunteering and Education: At EBB & FLO, our founder, Toni, passionately volunteers her time and expertise to work with local schools and organisations. She's involved in educating and inspiring on various topics, including business, tourism, conservation, geography, and science. Toni has also been instrumental in developing educational resources on plastic pollution and delivering workshops in schools and at the local beach, raising awareness about ocean conservation among students and the community.
- Community Beach Cleans: Since our brand's inception in 2017, Toni has been organising and coordinating Community Beach Cleans. These events bring the community together, fostering a sense of environmental stewardship and inspiring others to take action. By cleaning up our beaches, we prevent plastic and other debris from entering the ocean and harming marine life.
- Support for People with Disabilities: EBB & FLO is proud to collaborate with Zebdee, an inclusive performing arts and talent agency. Together, we're working on an environmental project to educate and raise awareness about environmental issues among people with disabilities. Our commitment to inclusivity extends beyond ocean conservation, as we believe in making a positive impact in all aspects of the community.
- Corporate Beach Clean Activities: We offer Corporate Beach Clean activities to support other businesses in achieving their social responsibility or environment, social, and governance goals. By sharing our knowledge, resources, and expertise, we aim to inspire and encourage other businesses to make a positive impact on their local communities and the environment.
- Commitment to Positive Change: At EBB & FLO, we firmly believe in the power of collaboration and working together to create positive change. We're immensely proud of the work we've accomplished in our community and are grateful for the opportunity to give back.
- Collaborations with Ocean Conservation Organisations: We actively collaborate with reputable ocean conservation organisations, such as Surfers Against Sewage, to support their initiatives and raise awareness about critical ocean issues. By partnering with these organisations, we contribute to their conservation efforts and help amplify their message, reaching a broader audience.
- Donations to Ocean Conservation: As part of our unwavering commitment to ocean conservation, we allocate a portion of our profits to support organisations like the SAS 250 Club. These donations fund crucial research, conservation projects, and advocacy efforts aimed at addressing pressing ocean conservation challenges.
Charitable Collaborations: EBB & FLO proudly supports like-minded charitable causes that work towards a sustainable future. Through collaborations such as the 2 Minute Beach Clean station, the Nurdle initiative, and Pollu Toys, we empower individuals, educate children, and actively combat plastic pollution.
- Carbon Removal Efforts: We partner with organisations like Eden Reforestation Projects to combat climate change. Through tree-planting initiatives, we offset carbon emissions and contribute to the restoration of forests, protecting ecosystems and supporting local communities.
- Equal Access to Blue Spaces: Our dedication to inclusivity led to the establishment of EBB & FLO COLLECTIVE CIC. This initiative aims to eliminate barriers preventing individuals from accessing Blue Spaces, ensuring that everyone can experience the transformative power of water sports and connect with our oceans.
Through these initiatives, we strive to make a positive impact on ocean conservation, raise awareness about the importance of protecting our oceans, and inspire individuals to take action for a healthier and more sustainable marine environment.
Get Involved – How You Can Get Involved in World Ocean Day and Help Change the Tide
While World Ocean Day serves as a global platform for raising awareness and promoting ocean conservation, individuals can also make a significant impact by taking actions right from the comfort of their homes. Here are some ways you can support World Ocean Day and contribute to the health and wellbeing of our oceans:
- Reduce Single-Use Plastics: One of the most effective ways to protect our oceans is by reducing the use of single-use plastics. Make a conscious effort to minimise your consumption of plastic bags, straws, bottles, and utensils. Instead, opt for reusable alternatives such as cloth bags, stainless steel straws, and refillable water bottles.
- Attend a Beach Cleanup: If you'd like to get involved in a beach cleanup, we invite you to join us for our monthly community beach cleans. At EBB & FLO, we are passionate about preserving the beauty and health of our oceans, and these beach cleanups are a crucial part of our commitment to environmental stewardship.
- Organise a Beach Cleanup: If you're a group or organisation, why not make a difference by gathering a group of volunteers and organising a Corporate or School beach cleanup. This hands-on activity plays a crucial role in removing litter and debris from coastal areas, preventing them from entering the ocean. To make the coordination process easier, we have created a Beach Clean page on our website. Visit here for more information and resources to help you plan your cleanup effectively. Together, we can protect our oceans and create a cleaner, healthier environment for all.
- Properly Dispose of Waste: Ensure that your waste, particularly hazardous materials like batteries and electronics, is disposed of correctly. Improper disposal can lead to the contamination of waterways and harm marine life. Research local recycling programs or drop-off locations for safe disposal options.
- Conserve Water: Adopt water-saving habits at home to minimise water consumption. Conserving water helps reduce the strain on freshwater sources, which are intricately connected to the health of our oceans. Simple practices such as turning off taps while brushing your teeth and fixing leaky faucets can make a big difference.
- Choose Sustainable Seafood: When purchasing seafood, make sustainable choices to support the health of ocean ecosystems. Look for labels such as the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) or the Aquaculture Stewardship Council (ASC) certification, which indicate responsibly sourced seafood. These labels ensure that the seafood is harvested or farmed in an environmentally and socially responsible manner.
- Minimise Chemical Usage: Avoid using harmful chemicals such as pesticides and fertilisers in your garden or yard. These chemicals can enter water systems, eventually reaching the ocean and causing pollution. Explore natural alternatives and environmentally friendly gardening practices to maintain a healthy ecosystem around your home.
- Support Ocean Conservation Organisations: Research and support reputable ocean conservation organisations. Many organisations offer online resources, educational materials, and virtual events to engage individuals in ocean conservation efforts. Consider donating to these organisations or volunteering your time and skills to support their initiatives.
- Educate Yourself and Others: Expand your knowledge about ocean conservation, marine life, and the importance of a healthy ocean ecosystem. Share what you learn with family, friends, and social networks to raise awareness and inspire others to take action.
- Participate in Virtual Events: Look for virtual events, webinars, or workshops organised by ocean conservation groups. These events provide opportunities to learn, connect with experts, and engage in discussions on pressing ocean conservation topics. Participating in these virtual events allows you to contribute to the global conversation and gain insights into how you can make a difference.
Remember, small actions can have a ripple effect and contribute to the collective efforts to protect our oceans. By taking these steps at home, you play an essential role in safeguarding the health and sustainability of our planet's most vital resource - the ocean. Together, we can create a brighter future for our oceans and future generations.
Looking Ahead - What Does World Ocean Day Mean for Us and How Can We Prepare for It
World Ocean Day provides a platform for us to give back and protect the world’s largest source of life. It is up to us as a global community to continue building on the momentum towards protecting our planet’s oceans. By joining EBB & FLO, everyone can help make a difference, from supporting our eco-friendly business that prioritises sustainability and environmental impact, to picking up trash on the beach or partaking in local beach cleanups. With every action made, we are shifting tides towards a more sustainable planet. This World Ocean Day, join forces with EBB & FLO and take meaningful steps that truly make an impact for a better future - one action at a time!